top of page


An official document issued and attached on the passport by IRCC indicating you meet the requirements to enter Canada. This document in no way gives a foreigner the right to enter the country. The majority of travelers typically require a visitor visa, even when transiting through a Canadian airport en route to their ultimate destination.


for application of visitor visa you must:

  • have a valid travel document like a passport

  • be in good health

  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions

  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country

  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit

  • have enough money for your stay (the amount depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives)

A visitor record is a document that a border services officer may issue to you to extend or restrict your stay in Canada. In case you intend to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, you have to tell the border services officer.


You need to apply for a visitor record when:

  • you know you want to stay longer than 6 months, or

  • you’re in Canada and decide you want to stay longer in which case you must apply at least 30 days before your authorized stay in Canada expires.

  • It’s an independent document which means it is attached within your passport.

  • It includes an expiry date for your stay in Canada implying the date by which you must leave Canada.


A super visa permits parents and grandparents to visit their children or grandchildren and stay for 5 years at a time. It allows multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years. 


You must have a host who:

  • is your child or grandchild

  • is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or registered Indian
    is at least 18 years old and lives in Canada

  • meets or exceeds the minimum necessary income

  • signs a letter inviting you to Canada that includes a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit

Also, you must be:

  • be outside Canada when you submit your application for a super visa

  • have your visa printed by a visa office outside Canada

  • be allowed to enter Canada

  • take an immigration medical exam


You must have a health insurance policy from either:

  • a Canadian insurance company

  • an insurance company outside Canada that is approved by the minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship 


The health insurance policy should:

  • be valid for a minimum of 1 year from the date of entry

  • be paid in full or in installments with a deposit

  • cover health care, hospitalization and repatriation

  • provide a minimum of $100,000 of emergency coverage



Persons who stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks to attend meetings or an event, and can stay for up to 6 months. 

To qualify as a business visitor to Canada, you must show that:

  • you plan to stay for less than 6 months

  • you don’t plan to enter the Canadian labor market

  • your main place of business, and source of income and profits is outside Canada

  • you have documents that support your application

  • you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements, because you

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport

  • have enough money for your stay and to return home

  • plan to leave Canada at the end of your visit

  • are not a criminal, security or health risk to Canadians

In case you intend to stay in Canada for longer than 6 months, you’ll have to apply for a work permit because in this case you fall under the temporary candidate.

Business activities allowed as business visitor:

  • buy Canadian goods or services for a foreign business or government

  • take orders for goods or services

  • attending meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs

  • providing after-sales service as part of a warranty or sales agreement

  • Undergoing training by a Canadian parent company that you work for outside Canada

  • Offer training to employees of a Canadian branch of a foreign company

  • Undergoing training by a Canadian company that has sold you equipment or services


An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveler’s passport and is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. 

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

There are 4 types of travelers:

Travelers who need an eTA:

  • Visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to any Canadian airport. Those arriving by car, bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship) do not require an eTA.

bottom of page